If you really wish to be as healthy as possible, you have no choice but to choose the safest foods to eat. The list below is very “normal” really, but the question is… are we eating them?
Eating these foods simply by making better choices at the market place, should automatically help us to be healthy. Unfortunately these days we can’t just take things for granted, we need to be very careful.
Gradually replace with these safer foods to eat:
Fruit and Vegetables
- Definitely not genetically modified
- No weed killers such as Roundup
- Don’t buy loose leaf greens that have been packaged (contains extra chemicals you don’t want)
- Choose organic whenever possible
- Spray free is also a good option
- Locally grown as a preference, excepting frozen goods where it’s not as important.
- Wash all vegetables well
- Preferably, consider growing your own so you really do know what you are getting!
- Try to make sure it is grass fed & pastured … and not grain fed
- Organic is definitely good as you don’t need the growth hormones
Poultry & Eggs
- Organic if possible
- Free-range in the true sense of the word! Many ‘free-range chickens never see the outside world.
- No growth hormones
- Consider, if possible, owning a few of your own hens… the taste is amazing!
- Fresh ocean/river/lake caught – not farmed
- Smaller types rather than large because of toxins like mercury. Remember that large fish each smaller fish and so on… thus there is an accumulation of mercury in large fish
- Raw milk if possible (straight from the cow)
- Non-homogenized is a better choice than homogenized
- Try to source milk/cheese/yogurt from grass-fed pastured cows
- Own a cow or goat
- Go shares in a cow or goat
- OR… try going “dairy free” with lots of nut milks available… but definitely not soy (interferes with your hormones).
- Natural – nothing artificial. Many concoctions can be found in the supermarket,, but please stick to your own combinations so you know what they contain.
- Leave them gracing the supermarket shelves!
Herbs and Spices
- Organic where possible
- Consider growing at least some of your own, it’s fun and rewarding… and taste great!
These are definitely the choices made by the savvy purchaser. Gradually switch over to a safer food option.
I know you can’t do this all at once, not many can, but each shopping day try to source out at least one item to buy a better quality. You will soon begin to notice it in the taste… maybe not always, but often… wonderful. Begin now to check out the area you live in… where you can buy many of these things straight from the farm or from a farmer’s market.
Get online… find out who delivers organic product to your door. Talk to everyone you know, it’s surprising who knows what. Go on, you’ll have a lot of fun doing this and it will bring you so much closer to your desired result just because of what you are “not eating”… pesticides, hormones, antibiotics etc etc etc. I had to do it again within the last 12 months looking for the safest foods to eat as I had moved states… gotta start all over again when you do that… but at least you know what you are looking for.
As you gradually change to these safer foods to eat, you may well find that you have more energy and a better outlook on life. It’s so worth it!